07 April 2012

12 Tags of 2012: April

The 'Tim Holtz 12 tags of 2012' is a great source of creativity for a monthly "crafternoon" with Bell. There's a new tag to make every month and I think this is my favourite one so far. I'm in love with the blend of distress inks (Wild Honey, Broken China and Frayed Burlap). And a new technique this month involved stamping some script text directly onto the inside of an embossing folder, then embossing the tag... the end result (if you look carefully) is the stamped script text on the background only, missing all the raised swirly bits. Fabulous. It really makes the embossed sections pop.

Imagine a plain manilla tag... that has been embossed with a gorgeous swirl, adorned with a little blue robin, a tiny bronze key and a simple message:

Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2012: April

I'm not replicating the Tim Holtz example tags each time, mostly due to the insane amount of 'new' supplies he uses every month. Instead I'm being liberal with the supplies I have (or shared with Bell) and this way, I am also putting my own little twist on them.

Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2012: April

Like the sentiment (from The Artistic Outpost 'Typography' stamp collection): 'Do small things greatly'. I needed some text that was small enough to fit my little punch and this one stood out for me as it's a simple statement and it matches the imagery of my little robin adorned with a silver crown. I imagine him doing a lot of small things greatly:

Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2012: April

It's also a reminder to do things more simply. Small steps... and being more mindful of each step as I take it.

3 comments:

maureen said...

To be truthful? I like your version more! You've done such a lovely job with the composition and coloring of this tag. Don't get me wrong: I admire tim's work a lot, but somethimes I think HE is a Ranger tool! lol.
Anyway, just wanted to stop by and give you my complements. Happy arting!

shirley said...

Fabulous tag Jen! I agree with Maureen :)

Winnie said...

Love your tag..I love the background and your adorable bird..Great sentiment for a small bird!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...